At its meeting on June 6, 2012, Toronto City Council unanimously approved $250,000 for the reconstitution of the Bed Bug Control Team and also requested the Province of Ontario to match this funding for 2012. The Medical Officer of Health and the Chair of the Board of Health are involved in ongoing discussion with the Province regarding potential provincial contributions to the effort.
With this new City funding, the Bed Bug Team will be providing the following services:
1. Field inspections/unit assessments in response to bed bug complaints.
2. Financial support for extreme cleaning/unit preparation for vulnerable clients.
3. Public Health Nurse support to vulnerable clients through nursing assessments and linkages to appropriate social supports essential in dealing with their living conditions and/or personal health issues.
To file a bed bug complaint, or to request one of the services listed above please contact Toronto Health Connection by calling 416-338-7600 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Given the time-limited nature of the current funding and the backlog of vulnerable client cases to be investigated, the following services will not be provided.
1. Bed bug identifications for the public at Toronto Public Health offices.
2. Educational presentations.